Thursday 13 February 2020

Reading 3 - Starting my Research

Reading 3 - Starting my Research


For this weeks reading I started my research on my first topic- creating my own research matrix to fill out and using available resources to locate journals and articles to gather and read.


Admittedly I struggled a lot at first with this- I was totally lost with the matrix as it confused me and I had no idea what to fill in where, but after clearing it and starting to read and compile some articles it became clearer.


I used Google Scholar, SpringerOpen and Sage Research Methods to find relevant articles and papers by searching using my keywords/key sentences I created last week. When I found a relevant article, I first read the abstract to see if it covered anything relevant to my topic. I then went on to read the conclusions to see if there was any useful topics covered within the reading. If I found there were relevant things in the abstract and conclusion, I skimmed through the readings and read the sub headings to see if there was anything relevant. I then started to fill in my Matrix with relevant, simplified information based on my readings.


Getting a start on my research matrix
Source: My laptop


I explored numerous resources and articles in search of useful information, but came across lots that weren't relevant to my topic. However, I did come across some useful articles and papers.

This paper explores in depth different elements of narrative structure and design, and how these give way to unfolding a story. It explores plot setup, development, complications and resolutions and how to apply these to the gameplay to satisfy the player experience. It goes into narrative in television, film, theatre etc. and has a lot of elements that aren't relevant to my topic but it has some useful tidbits in it. There are some interesting points on player immersion and player driven plots in here also that may be helpful when reading further.


This article explores the idea of The Hero's Journey- a commonly used plot structure which has proven successful and is used in games such as "The Legend of Zelda". The main focus in this plot structure is the main protagonist, the hero, who's world is thrown out of order by an evil entity who the hero in the end must defeat to restore order to the world. This article contains lots of relevant content and is a great example of common plot structure. It shows while this structure is commonly used, it can be widely successful and gives good points on how to advance the plot.


Here are all the articles and papers I have compiled thus far- I read their abstracts, conclusions, and skimmed their subheadings and noted them if I found anything or relevance for my topic.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity Tutorial 06

Unity Tutorial 06 Lesson 3.1 - Jump Force This tutorial was relatively easy to follow, however I encountered some coding problems...