Tuesday 1 October 2019

Game Design

Game Design

The definition of a game is, in my opinion, equally as difficult to define as "art". Games themselves can be defined as a form of art. Generally, people define games as a process in which a player follows a set of formal rules voluntarily in safety in order to overcome a problem, obstacle or conflict in order to win or lose the game. A lot of definitions I have read define games such as this.. but there are always exceptions to it. For example, puzzle games can be difficult to define in the same way, since there will not necessarily be elements such as conflict or competition in the game. People have many varying opinions about the definition of a game- and while they may be right to some extent, it is extremely difficult to define.

The article What is a Game explores in detail the process in which games can be defined and helped give me a clear understanding of the ideas behind defining a game.

I found the rules for the game of Tic-Tac-Toe difficult to wrap my head around upon first being presented with them, but only then after I was shown the diagram of the game written out by the rules did I realise what it was. Such a worldwide famous game that the majority of people have played, broken down, is simply a set of rules. Seeing a famous game broken down like that personally helped me understand the process of creating a game; initially the thought of making a game was overwhelming since it is a new experience and I had not thought so deeply into the basic definition of what a game is. Breaking it down into a set of rules and the end objective are some of the main points in creating a game, and helps greatly in the process of shaping the game in development and design.

This article about using non digital techniques to create a game is very inspirational and it helped me feel less intimidated about tackling the process- I recommend the read!


Scrabble cubes spelling "game"


Game design speaks entirely of the fundamentals of a game- its core design. This does not include coding, programming, or technological development (which is a common misconception of the term). Game design can be done with simply pencil and paper- it's essentially coming up with the structure of the game in an iterative process. Setting up the rules and the end goal requirements leaves the way to fine tune the game design- such as the story of the game, adding conflicts, which leads to iteration. Playing the game you have created gives you a chance to see how enjoyable it is and what could be added and improved on. Changing elements of the game design in an iterative process helps to eliminate design risk. 

Game development is about the more technical aspects of creating a game such as programming, coding, testing, world building, user interface etc. This comes at a later stage of the development process- its important to have a strong game design before moving on to the technical aspects- at least in my personal opinion. Development is also important though- it builds the game for the player to play. The design sets up the structure to be built upon. Having a playable game is important in the development stage as it helps eliminate game risk through testing and iteration.

This blog explains the process of the beginnings of designing a game well and gives helpful advice such as creating a simple tabletop game which I have discussed above. I recommend beginners of game design read this blog!

Overall I have gained a lot of insight on games through my readings- I have never thought of the definition of a game in such a manner before and breaking down the basic elements of a game gave me a good understanding of what I need to do to develop my own game.

I also had a misconception that game design involved the process of developing the entire game- and I have learned that it is not the case.

My main concerns now are the development stages of the game using Unity and other tools- but I'm sure I'll learn and improve through my process.

Thank you for reading my blog!

7 comments:

  1. great start for your readings, think about the similarities and differences between the various writings as you go forward! really good work though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kayleigh

    I really enjoyed reading about your thoughts on game design and how you explained it. I also love the photos used and the layout of your blog. I cant wait to read more.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Kayleigh,

    I quite enjoyed reading your article. You clearly have a good understanding of the material you read and were able to summarize in a way that was easy to read. I too also agree that it is like "what is art" and isn't easy to pin down. I'm glad you have a better understand of it and look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey kayleigh,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog I liked that you went into such debt about game design and I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it and you have a good understanding of the readings I also i liked that you explained the process of designing a game anyway i will leave it there hope to read more of your blogs.
    -jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayleigh
    I enjoyed reading this post. You really went into great detail about game design. You were able to summarize the articles in a great way and I was able to get a good understanding of them just by reading this post. It seems like you’re interested in game design as you talk about in great detail.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kayleigh,

    This was an interesting read, you went into great detail and your comparison of game design to art in terms of definition is a very interesting view on game design but I can totally see where you're coming from with it as there are many things about game design that are hard to define. This was well written and I enjoyed it a lot.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kayleigh,

    I agree that the definition of a game is equally as difficult to define as art. I struggled to understand the game of Tic-Tac-Toe just from the reading. I was also only able to understand what it was from the diagram. I also found it fascinating how important it is to play your game and analyse it to identify the improvements it may need.

    I look forward to reading some of your future blogs.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete

Unity Tutorial 06

Unity Tutorial 06 Lesson 3.1 - Jump Force This tutorial was relatively easy to follow, however I encountered some coding problems...