Thursday 3 October 2019

Unity Tutorial 01



Unity Tutorial 01 Thoughts


Through these Unity tutorials I have learned about the interface, tools and objects available, terrain tools, textures, materials, assets, terrain objects, making scripts and test playing the world.

Powered by Unity Logo


First off I found the tutorials very helpful! It was easy enough to follow and I felt that I got some good information and understanding out of it as I followed along.


I really liked how customisable the interface is- messing around with the different window and sidebar positions. Though I would like to explore more of the customisation in future, for the sake of the tutorials I left them as default so I wouldn’t get confused when working through them.

The most enjoyable part of this tutorial for me was the terrain building! I had a test around with the different terrain tools such as changing heights (I made quite the dramatic mountain peak at one stage), smoothing, and creating jagged textures. I followed the tutorial and made my own mountains, which I definitely found enjoyable.

I also enjoyed playing around with the grass and tree textures- I loved how customisable they are in terms of colour and heights and density. I had a good chuckle changing the grass to completely unnatural colours.

I found it rather difficult at first to wrap my head around applying textures- duplicating the textures and renaming them to add into the normal map. Though after a few rewinds of the tutorial I understood but I feel that I need to practice and familiarize myself with it more.

I also found it difficult to understand the C# scripting- I am only familiar with HTML and CSS coding from my modules so it was quite intimidating (and still is) to me. I just copied the tutorial here- but I feel like I don’t fully understand this yet but hopefully I will begin to as I practice and explore scripting more.

I’m really  looking forward to getting a start on my game so that I can build my own world according to the ideas I come up with- and I’m also  looking forward to working more with textures and terrain to shape my world.

I’d personally like some further explanation on C# since it is completely new, and rather alien to me. I feel like it will be important in the development of our games through scripting so I’d like to become more comfortable and familiar with it.


Thank you for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity Tutorial 06

Unity Tutorial 06 Lesson 3.1 - Jump Force This tutorial was relatively easy to follow, however I encountered some coding problems...