Sunday 8 December 2019

Eterna Hunt Beta

Eterna Hunt Beta

I have been working towards making a complete beta for my game "Eterna Hunt" over the course of this module, with some success but lots of difficulty.

Here are some screenshots from my current beta.


Screenshot of Eterna Hunt
Source: My Unity Project

Screenshot of Eterna Hunt
Source: My Unity Project

Screenshot of Eterna Hunt
Source: My Unity Project


I updated and tweaked my map a little bit and added trees and grass and path textures to make the map feel less boring and more fleshed out. I updated my UI and added a timer element to the game, though with little success. I spent quite a lot of time looking at tutorials and sample code and none of it worked for me. Speaking of script, I also spent hours trying to fix my health script. I managed to fix the code so now the player health goes up when they collect hearts, but for some reason the hearts in the UI don't update.

The spider enemies function perfectly well and look, move towards the player and attack the player however the damage script is not working. Again- I tried to figure this out for quite a while but to no avail.

I made multiple enemies and collectables and scattered them throughout the map- so the game would be perfect as of right now if the code was working.

I'm aware that a beta is supposed to have bugs ironed out but with my laptop being so slow and my lack of knowledge of scripts I did what I could towards building a beta.


I am meeting my targets by working on my project every week and implementing new features and updating the map and existing features towards creating a playable finished game. I am using my existing knowledge from tutorials and readings in order to create my game.

Overall I am pleased with my progress despite the setbacks and complications- as I am a complete beginner to Unity and game development I'm surprised I've made it so far. I hope that one day I figure out how to code so that my game can be fully functional and live up to my original vision.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kayleigh!

    Nice progress made on your game! So far it seems like a decent beta version of your game and with just a little bit of work it can turn into a fully-fledged game.

    At this stage I think everyone's having some sort of issues on Unity, especially on the coding department. Beta version of games isn't technically "bug-free", just bugs that you didn't know you have up to that time. I had no errors on my console and perfectly written scripts but things are not working. It's just how it is.

    The Damage script, as simple as it may seem, need multiple layers of script to work properly (I've been working on it for the whole day). The Damage script must correspond to the HP values in the Health script. This is the most difficult part because there are no universal way to link Damage and Health scripts to do this. We can only wait to see if Shaun has anything to say about it.

    Anyway, glad to see your game making great progress!
    Have a nice day!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayleigh,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog nice to see your game has came along really well you obviously have a functional game I really like your spider enemy and the way the health bar goes down when the player goes near the spider I really like that you also put design effort into your game even after you had a well functional game your game looks really good overall you obviously have put a lot of effort into it and worked really hard to achieve your game anyway hope to read more from you soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Unity Tutorial 06

Unity Tutorial 06 Lesson 3.1 - Jump Force This tutorial was relatively easy to follow, however I encountered some coding problems...