Sunday 10 November 2019

Prototype

Eterna Hunt Prototype


This week, using the GDD I have designed, I have began to develop my game using the Unity engine.
I decided to start by laying out the basic terrain of the map since it's an open world game, and getting the general layout and placements right will help me develop the game more efficiently.



I started by sketching out the general map of my game- I did this using a mobile drawing app called IbisPaint X. Bordering the entire map are mountains so that the player has a set map to explore.
There are three main sections- The forest, the volcanic region and the tundra region, along with a lake subsection. All areas are coloured for visual representation of how big the areas will be.

Map design of "Eterna Hunt"
Source: Me







Screenshots of  my developing game
Source: My Unity project


I'm finding it easy to apply textures, grass, trees and building basic terrain! My main focus was building up some terrain this time around, so I have yet to add any scripting to my game, but that will come when adding objects and creatures to my game. I'm finding scripting a little difficult; I don't really understand it and it tends to not work all too well for me, but I will combat this by looking at plenty of tutorials and sample code!

Though I have textures, grass and trees down, they're too natural looking for my liking and I would like more fantasy-esque plants and colours in my game. There are some things available in the assets store but I'm not willing to spend money on anything since it's very unlikely I'll use them outside of assignment work, so I'll have to look into free options.

I find that when I add more trees, grass and terrain to my map, it slows down my laptop considerably... it's painful to work on it when it's that slow, and there's unfortunately not much I can do to fix this slowness. This is already a big issue in this early stage, so it will probably only worsen as development continues.

I may possibly have to make the map considerably smaller than I would have liked, and be sparing with my many trees to go in the terrain in order to make my laptop a bit faster and responsive when developing. The map I have currently is bigger than I actually thought, so cutting it down shouldn't have a huge impact. Plus, this gives me chance to build and detail the terrain more since the map would be smaller.

I feel that I am meeting my targets relatively well as I have been following the majority of the Jimmy Vegas tutorials and they have taught me the basics of Unity and provide helpful tutorials on things I can add to my game. Also, having done all the project work is very helpful as it's given me a solid idea of what I want my game to look like and the things I need to do to achieve that.

Next up, I'm going to work on making my map smaller, start adding interactive objects into my game, and start working on a cursor and UI.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Kayleigh!

    Glad to your game coming along nicely! The map actually looks really professional.
    I understand that the map needs to be cut down, after all, Unity can overheat laptop very easily.

    Just a little hint: in the window where it says 'Scene' there should be a little icon that looks like a sun. That's the lighting of the scene you're currently on. To make sure Unity runs smoother, it's best to turn it off when you're doing other things. When you need to change the lighting again just press that button again to turn it on. Easy.

    Glad to see you're making a great progress. Good luck!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayleigh,

    Your idea to draw out how you wanted your game map to look before you got into making your game was clever and the map itself looks very good. The environment for your game looks even better and I really cant wait to see what it all looks once you finish it. I understand the struggle of not being able to find the right kind of assets for your game without having to pay for them but I'm sure that even with the limited assets you'll be able to make a great game. I really hope that your laptop holds up as you continue to develop your game.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kayleigh
    It’s good to see that your game is coming along well with game. I really like the layout of your map I’m able to get a good sense of what your game will look like. I like the way you have the map spilt into three sections and I’m able to get that by looking at your sketch of the map you made. I also like the screenshots you showed of your map the game looks really good so far.
    Have you consider making your assets I’m sure there is certain platforms that you can use to a make the assets it would be difficult to do so maybe it is best to avoid it.
    I do think making the map smaller is a good idea because you don’t a map that’s to big with nothing in it.
    Overall the game looks great so far good luck with it.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Kayleigh,
    I must say, your game is looking really good so far! I like your process, drawing out a map was a really good first step in your design. Your game world looks great. I love the how the mountains of the two regions look and how they tower over the world. I also like how the forest looks in contrast with the them. I quite like the the fantasy look you are going for, I think it really helps your game stand out more. I understand how you feel with the scripting. I've been having difficultly with it myself. I'm glad the Jimmy Vegas videos have been of good help to you along with all the project work you've been doing as well. Over all, your game looks really good! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see how it turns out and too play it!
    -Nathan Harte

    ReplyDelete

Unity Tutorial 06

Unity Tutorial 06 Lesson 3.1 - Jump Force This tutorial was relatively easy to follow, however I encountered some coding problems...